What we can learn from the NHS cyber attack according to a cyber security specialist
Posted on: 15th May 2017
Joe explains that these 6 steps are crucial in ensuring protection against attacks of this kind.
1. Most importantly, running on supported operating systems and installing updates is the most crucial step anyone can take in avoiding cyber attacks, this patches over vulnerabilities in old versions of operating systems.
2. Disable Server Message Block (SMB) Version 1- specific to this situation
3. Don’t open emails from unknown senders and be cautious of opening emails even from known senders, especially if they contain attachments which you were not expecting to receive.
4. Disable RDP ports
5. Install IDS (Intrusion Detection System) so you can be alerted if there is suspicious activity on your network, giving you more time to mitigate the threat.
6. Invest in cyber security training that raises awareness in the workplace of cyber threats and what to look out for, stressing that every employee is responsible for keeping the computer network safe.
You can listen to Joe’s interview below:
Pyranet are a cyber essentials plus certified company, with a team of cyber security specialists who are on hand to answer questions, offer advice and implement a variety of other cyber security services for your business.
Talk to us today if you are concerned about vulnerabilities and ransomware, we are always happy to help.